[kaffe] Development snapshots

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Jul 18 19:51:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 06:22, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Jaco,
>
> Jaco Greeff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a possibility that Kaffe can offer more regular development
> > snapshots, possibly on a weekly basis. My personal feeling is that this
> > helps other projects, e.g. Wine, a great deal in getting testing on the
> > latest and greatest. (Bleeding-edge people seem to flock to weekly
> > releases instead of getting the CVS snapshot themselves.)
>
> regular distribution snapshots would be nice. I'm putting irregular
> (about every two weeks) distribution snapshots here:
> http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/
>
> you can also get the real thing, a CVS snapshot, from Jim's current work
> on getting a regression test rig set up:
>
> ftp://ftp.kaffe.org/pub/testrig/resultnodes/source-snapshots/data
>
> with CVS snapshots you need the latest automake (1.7.6), autoconf (2.57)
> and libtool (1.5), and gnu make to build kaffe. distribution snapshots
> should work without them.

I'm thinking of disabling those particular snapshots and doing daily
snapshots instead - for people who don't have CVS access.  The viewcvs
script on the website used to be able to automatically generate tarballs
as well - but that broke when we checked in the Tritonous stuff with the
extremely long path names.

I want to do bonafide development releases approximately every two
months.

I don't really want to do official "make dist" snapshots more
often than that, because there's always a lot of finicky Makefile.am
fixes required.  If somebody else wants to volunteer to do that work, I
guess we could do it more often.

Cheers,

 - Jim