[kaffe] AmigaOS Config failure

Dalibor Topic robilad@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 02:02:01 2003

Hi Tony,

--- Tony Wyatt <wyattaw@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Sadly the configure script will not run on my AmigaOS platform. The script
> crashes the machine, leaving only a file "configure.lineno" behind. This
> file has 30,690 lines.

Argh, the joys of cross-platform shell programming ;)

> The last few lines of "configure.lineno" are:
>
> *********************
> int
> main ()
> {
> return f != $ac_func;
>   ;
>   return 0;
> }
> _ACEOF
> rm -f conftest.$ac_objext conftest$ac_exeext
> if { (eval echo "$as_me:30686: \"$ac_link\"") >&5
>   (eval $ac_link) 2>&5
>   ac_status=$?
>   echo "$as_me:30689: \$? = $ac_status" >&5
>   (exit $ac_status); } &&
>          { ac_try='test
> *************************
> Needless to say, the line number "30686" does not feature in the configure
> script.

there should be a line like

for ac_func in some-functions-from-configure.in

somewhere above it, could you report back which functions they are? It may be
some quoting problem ... then I'd put up a patched kaffe-1.1.0 archive for you
to download and test.

> One big problem is that the configure script says NOTHING to the screen. I
> tried the configure with the --verbose flag, but still nothing. Since the
> configure process under 1.0.7 takes about 80 minutes on my platform, that's
> an awfully long silence to endure before any result can be expected.

Here's a bit from the release notes of automake 2.52g [1],

- $LINENO
  Now used instead of hard coded line numbers.
  This eases the comparison of `configure's, and diminishes the
  pressure over control version archives.
  Automatic replacement for shells that don't support this feature.

I think the configure script creates a line-numbered version of itself
(configure.lineno) for shells that don't support $LINENO and runs that.

> The script produces about 8 minutes of silence before it crashes.

Then I'd assume that it's the LINENO replacement part that crashes. If it's not
a quoting issue, then we should report it to the autoconf developers and let
them handle it ...

[1] http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2002-01/msg00081.html , and we're
using 2.57 for kaffe ;)