Release Dates (was Re: [kaffe] Qt AWT backend works under Qtopia(Qt Palmtop))

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jun 4 18:36:01 PDT 2003

hi guys,

(Sorry I haven't been active, work and all)

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 09:29  AM, Jim Pick wrote:
> Well, the original plan for 1.1.0 was to freeze on May 18th, and
> release
> on June 1st.  Obviously, we didn't freeze on May 18th, and did not
> release on June 1st.  I'll take the blame for that - I wasn't
> prepared...

Nobody's fault, the dates were picked to allow for some buffering
anyways.  I'd just like to see it go before the 15th since I'll be on
vacation then.

> My intention is to label the 1.1.x series of releases as "development
> releases".  We'll do a big 1.2.0 release sometime in the future, which
> we will label a "production release".  So we'll be following the
> convention as the Linux kernel, where odd-numbered minor number
> releases
> are development, and even-numbered minor number releases are
> production.
>
> Here's a proposal for 1.1.1 - I think we should do a two month cycle.

Indeed, I've had it backwards all along.  I wanted to stretch it out
because I figured we wouldn't get a whole lot of development done in
that amount of time.  But, as seen by the last couple weeks, people
come alive in response to a deadline ;)   So, increasing the frequency
is probably good for pushing things forward.  (I'll stick with my
conservative streak though and vote for three months ;).

> As for regression test results - what I'd like to do is to get some
> more
> automated reporting via the website.  And maybe we could snapshot that
> for the development releases.  This seems like a longer term project
> though, for future releases.

That would be cool

> Cheers,
>
>  - Jim