[kaffe] Debugging Kaffe with DDD

Michael Franz mvfranz at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 05:14:01 PDT 2003

--- Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> >Does debugging kaffe still work?
> As far as 'gdb' is concerned, yes it is.
I really ment with DDD.

> >If it does work, can someone tell me how to setup
> my
> >environment?
> Setting environment variable 'KAFFE_DEBUG' to a
> debugger (mentioned
> in FAQ.debugging) is one idea,
I have set this to gdb and it works, however I wanted
to use DDD so I set KAFFE_DEBUG to ddd.  The script
handles it differently.  I am wondering if there is
some magic going on there.

>but I usually do
> different way for
> debug kaffe. This may help you if 'kaffe' wrapper
> does not work for
> DDD.
I think the kaffe script is wrong.  The modifications
I made allow be to set KAFFE_DEBUG to ddd and just
compile, it pops-up DDD with kaffe running, just like
it does for gdb.

I guess part of my question is:  Does debugging with
DDD work the same was as with gdb? (setting up the
environment,...)

> 1. source 'BUILD_ENVIRONMENT'
>  This defined all needed environment variable to use
> kaffe.
> 2. invoke 'kaffe-bin' directly with debugger
>  by doing 'gdb $JAVA'.
Cool, I didn't know I could do that.

Michael