[kaffe] Directory Structure of Kaffe or Modular Design of Kaffe

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 11:06:02 PDT 2003

Hallo Michael,

--- Michael Franz <mvfranz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get kaffe to work on my Mac (the
> 1.0.7 is suppose to support OS X, but I haven't had
> any success).  In doing so, I have become really
> confused as to what is actually provided and how it is
> packaged.
>
> The sub-directories of kaffe:
> kaffe - main entry point of executable
> kaffeh - native stub generator (how does this relate
> to kaffe?)

the native methods in the class library need headers describing their classes
in order to build/link.

> kaffevm - the core of the VM
>
> I have looked at
> http://www.cse.msu.edu/~korenson/kaffe.html , which
> might be dated.
>
> I guess, my question is, from a high level what are
> the different modules used within Kaffe and what
> directories/files make up these modules.

kaffe/FAQ
        developer and user docs
kaffe/test
        tests
kaffe/test/awt
        AWT test applications
kaffe/test/regression
        regression tests
kaffe/test/internal
        internal (jitter) tests
kaffe/compat-include
        no idea, I've never touched that one
kaffe/replace
        replacement functions for broken C libs
kaffe/kaffe
        main VM directory
kaffe/kaffe/man
        man pages
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm
        the VM
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/gcj
        gcj bindings
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/jit
        first generation jitter engine
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/mem
        garbage collection implementation
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/jit3
        third generation jitter engine
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/intrp
        interpreter engine
kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/systems
        threading subsystem implementations
kaffe/kaffe/kaffe
        main program
kaffe/kaffe/xprof
        xprofiling support
kaffe/kaffe/scripts
        java, kaffe, javac, and other wrapper shell scripts
kaffe/kaffe/scripts/bat
        no idea
kaffe/kaffe/scripts/compat
        no idea
kaffe/kaffe/kaffeh
        javah replacement
kaffe/libraries
        kaffe's class library
kaffe/libraries/clib
        native portion of the class library
kaffe/libraries/clib/awt
        different AWT implementations
kaffe/libraries/extensions
        extension libraries
kaffe/libraries/javalib
        java portion of the class library
kaffe/libraries/javalib/pure-java
        pure java replacements for portion of the native implementation
kaffe/libltdl
        libtool support machinery
kaffe/config
        platform dependant bits and pieces
kaffe/developers
        tools for developer support
kaffe/include
        headers used or provided by kaffe/kaffeh