[kaffe] memory leaking

Martin Pohlack mp26 at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jun 11 06:40:02 PDT 2003

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> After having run the CVS release of kaffe, and now version 1.1.0,
> for several days, I'm pretty sure it's leaking memory a lot faster
> than the CVS version from a month ago did.  The early May version
> typically took 24 to 48 hours to fill up the memory I allowed it
> (224 MB) while running Freenet.  With the current version, I can
> reach the limit in just a few hours.
>
> From a practical standpoint, this means I have to restart the Freenet
> node much more frequently.

In my recent attempt to build kaffe with the "diet libc" I noticed some
#warnings, given by "diet libc":

../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.a(syscalls.o)(.text+0x4e8): In function
`jthreadedGetHostByAddr':
/home/mp26/erwin/kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads/syscalls.c:270:
warning: gethostbyaddr() leaks memory.  Use gethostbyaddr_r instead!
../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.a(syscalls.o)(.text+0x493): In function
`jthreadedGetHostByName':
/home/mp26/erwin/kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads/syscalls.c:251:
warning: gethostbyname() leaks memory.  Use gethostbyname_r instead!

Maybe that is one of the leaks?

Martin Pohlack