[kaffe] Replaced the good old lightweight AWT?!

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Mon Jun 16 08:15:01 PDT 2003

Actually, we have multiple AWTs now, selectable at configure time.

I wouldn't mind seeing it so that we could compile them all in, and
easily select them at run time, using properties, or something like
that.  If somebody was really ambitious, maybe it's even possible to
mix them up, and run multiple AWTs at once.  :-)

I'd like to see a merge of the old Transvirtual lightweight AWT from
the PocketLinux fork of Kaffe.  That had a lot of neat stuff, and
support for things like drawing to the framebuffer, and quite a few
low level graphics libraries.

Also, there's Classpath's AWT, which has GTK peer classes implemented.
They've got some Swing stuff too.

Another cool one to suck in might be Rudolph (from Acunia's Wonka VM),
which also works on the framebuffer.

Another one that looks interesting is Agile2D, which is a Java 2D
implementation, that sits on top of OpenGL (released under the MPL).
It's not really an AWT, but they have pictures of Swing running on top
of it.  We could port the back end of the Transvirtual lightweight
AWT onto it, I think.

Interestingly, Sun seems to have gotten the message, and it coming out
with their own Lightweight AWT for Tiger (Java 1.5).

http://servlet.java.sun.com/javaone/sf2003/conf/sessions/display-1999.en.jsp

Cheers,

 - Jim