Using tar files (was Re: [kaffe] make dist-gzip on OpenBSD)

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Mon Jun 16 08:22:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 15:57, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> 'make dist-gzip' on OpenBSD produces several of these:
>
> tar: File name too long for tar kaffe-1.1.x-cvs/libraries/javalib/META-INF/services/javax.sound.sampled.spi.FormatConversionProvider
> tar: File name too long for tar kaffe-1.1.x-cvs/libraries/javalib/org/tritonus/share/sampled/convert/TAsynchronousFilteredAudioInputStream.java

This is annoying the heck out of me.  I first saw this with our viewcvs
interface on the the website, which allowed people tar files, but I had
to disable it because it couldn't do long filenames.

And now a lot of people are finding that it doesn't work on their
platform because they don't have a tar that supports GNU tar extensions.

Unfortunately, 100 characters isn't a very long name, given classes
named like above.

I'd like to eliminate the dependency on GNU tar.  But I'm not sure what
the best way to do this is.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

 - Jim