Using tar files (was Re: [kaffe] make dist-gzip on OpenBSD)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 09:09:02 PDT 2003

--- Jim Pick <jim at kaffe.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 15:57, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > 'make dist-gzip' on OpenBSD produces several of these:
> >
> > tar: File name too long for tar

kaffe-1.1.x-cvs/libraries/javalib/META-INF/services/javax.sound.sampled.spi.FormatConversionProvider
> > tar: File name too long for tar

kaffe-1.1.x-cvs/libraries/javalib/org/tritonus/share/sampled/convert/TAsynchronousFilteredAudioInputStream.java

> This is annoying the heck out of me.  I first saw this with our viewcvs
> interface on the the website, which allowed people tar files, but I had
> to disable it because it couldn't do long filenames.
>
> And now a lot of people are finding that it doesn't work on their
> platform because they don't have a tar that supports GNU tar extensions.
>
> Unfortunately, 100 characters isn't a very long name, given classes
> named like above.
>
> I'd like to eliminate the dependency on GNU tar.  But I'm not sure what
> the best way to do this is.  Any ideas?

zip should be able to handle longer filenames thatn tar, but doesn't compress
that well.