[kaffe] Re: AmigaOS Config failure

Tony Wyatt wyattaw at optushome.com.au
Wed Jun 11 21:10:01 PDT 2003

Hi all Amiga lovers,

Hello?
hmmm, seems I'm the only one in the hall tonight . . .

Firstly, the "maximum command line length" problem. Following a suggestion
from Helmer, I have put a few Amiga-centric config variables into a file
kaffe-1.1.0/config/$PLATFORM/$OS. Using the configure option
"--cache-file=<xxx>", I was able to bypass the slow parts of the configure
script without modifying any of the kaffe distribution.

Also, the mystery of the Amiga crashing when configurating kaffe-1.1.0
is discovered. It appears that some of the long strings of
filenames in the configure files are overflowing a buffer somewhere and
crashing the system. If I import the configure file into an editor and break
up the two long strings (one near line 470, one near line 32770) into two
lines, the configure proceeds without error.

Building it is another problem. I get a system crash after about 45 minutes
and so far I have been unable to observe it just before it happens. I
suspect it's another buffer overflow error, but a Make Clean and re-Make
doesn't always crash the next time.

Current problem is that I get a link error when Make-ing /kaffevm:

*** No rule to make target `../../libltdl/libltdlc.la', needed by `libkaffevm.la'.  Stop.

Now when I look, there is no such file in /libltdl (probably the problem).
But looking at the Makefile in /libltdl, I can not see anything wrong with
the file contents (such as truncated lines which might prevent a file from
being built).

I have the file libltdl/libltdl.la OK. It's libltdl*C*.la which is missing.

Can someone point me to where this file should come from? In the
Makefile there is a line saying:

"#noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libltdlc.la" Does this mean "no install"?
What is this library, anyway? Is it something  that my configuration thinks
it doesn't need?

I have tried a Make Clean in the libltdl directory as well as in the root
directory, but the file still isn't generated next time.

tony