[kaffe] NetBSD & configure

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 07:28:01 PDT 2003

Ciao Ric,

--- WhiteGandalf <zuse at libero.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> as Dalibor suggested, I tried to build kaffe-cvs on my NetBSD68k box to
> see if 68k still works well on BSD. 68030 isn?t the fastest thing around
> but well, for embedded stuff it is stilll used.
>
> I checked out cvs and started configuring.
>
> configure is SOOOO slow (about one hour, or maybe more ?) when trying to
> find out this:
>
> checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 65536
>
> this is unbearable...

yep. Tony has had the same problems with that particular check. It comes from
libtool. I posted a patch to the various libtool mailing lists, but got no
reply. We have a couple of patches for libtool in kaffe now, and I don't really
want to maintain a fork. I guess I'll have to voice some concerns on the
libtool mailing lists about the way patches are dropped to the floor. But it
may also be that I'm ignored because of my spam-friendly e-mail provider ;) I
guess I should switch over to use my kaffe.org address...

The short answer for now is: if you can, cross-compile on a faster machine.

> then configure fails: at the end I get:
> config.status: creating Makefile config.status: creating config/Makefile
> config.status: creating include/Makefile config.status: creating replace/
> Makefile config.status: error: cannot find input file: replace/Makefile.
> in

that's really weird. Does the file replace/Makefile.in exist? It should ;)