[kaffe] Re: compiling for m68k with optimization works.

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Tue May 6 01:58:02 PDT 2003

Hi Tony,

You wrote:
>I've found many funny things that gcc produces, but I've never found
>anything that goes away with -O0. I always use -O2 and it never generates
>code that would be better with no optimisation.

OK, your code may slightly diverged from CVS right now...

>The gcc I am using on the Amiga is 2.95.1. It's old, but I don't dare change
>it - it might never work again! I have 3.2.2 here ready to compile, but I
>haven't tried it yet.

That's not so old, I think. As you see, I still use 2.95.3 and it is
just a bug fix version from yours. When we can integrate your code
and CVS trunk, I hope we will check again for this issue.

>I don't have a problem with assertions on the Amiga platform. In fact, I
>have added many of them in new places in an attempt to find bugs.

The problem this time is not directly related to assertion itself.
My observation is it is a side effect produced by optimization.

>BTW, what hardware platform are you using?

For linux, I use Mac. And I still keep one Sun-3/260 for NetBSD but
it is noisy and becomes so hot while running.

Kiyo