[kaffe] J2ME, KNI, and C++

Justin Bojarski jbojarski at sarnoff.com
Fri May 9 08:33:06 PDT 2003

Hello,

I have a rather complex question that I was hoping to get some help on.
Specifically it relates to the J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) and its
interaction with other elements within a mobile device. I have a project
in which 2 levels of a device have to communicate. The top layers will
utilize J2ME as well as SyncML (a program for Over the air provisioning
of software within a mobile device). The bottom layer will interact
directly with hardware through C++ (most likely).

My question arises with developing this layer inbetween the J2ME and the
C++. I need them to be able to access eachother somehow within this
environment. If I were using regular Java 2, I'd most likely use JNI
(Java Native Interface). However, since I'm using J2ME, it comes with a
scaled down version of JNI called KNI. What I really need to know are
the limitations of KNI? Can I access data and functions within my C++
module from J2ME through KNI? What are the other restrictions that KNI
places on accessability and functionality?

Additionally, are there any other means of accomplishing this dialogue
between the J2ME and C++? Namely, what about the use of sockets (Java
and C++ sockets to share data? Can this be done) or through the use of
shared memory?

If anyone has any info on the above or can point me in the right
direction that would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail address is
jcb6 at lehigh.edu

Thanks,
Justin
jcb6 at lehigh.edu