Volunteers for merge? (Was: Re: [kaffe] Jit3 for IA-64)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 05:39:01 PDT 2003

Salut Gwenole,

--- Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne at mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
> > On a related note, what's the status of kaffe-1.0.7 on ia64 in Mandrake?
>
> It still fails as before. However, I noticed current Kaffe in CVS (as of
> today) builds fine and regression testsuite reports that 25 of 131 tests
> failed. Since GC tests work, I don't think the remaining bugs are due to
> a possible mishandling of IA-64 register stack (in jthread.c, see BSP
> stuff).

I believe 25 is better than what I had when I fixed the ia64intrin.h check. I
think I saw around 40 failures back then.

> BTW, under which circumstances could the following happen?
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: TestSerialPersistent
>         at
> kaffe.lang.SystemClassLoader.findClass0(SystemClassLoader.java:native
> )
>         at
> kaffe.lang.SystemClassLoader.findClass(SystemClassLoader.java:150)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:149)
> Caused by: <null cause>
> (that occurred e.g. for ttest test, but hand compiling with kjc and rerun
> it succeeded)
>
> 1.0.7 regression testsuite fails in a lot of places similarly to
> error compiling:
> Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
> Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
> java/lang/NullPointerException
> TestScript: line 1:  2183 Aborted
> /home/gb/rpm/BUILD/kaffe-1.0.7/kaffe/kaffe/kaffe-bin at.dms.kjc.Main
> -classpath

".:.:./../../libraries/javalib/Klasses.jar:.:/home/gb/rpm/BUILD/kaffe-1.0.7/libraries/javalib/Klasses.jar:/home/gb/rpm/BUILD/kaffe-1.0.7/libraries/javalib/kjc.jar"

> -d . ./InternHog.java
> FAIL: InternHog.java

It could be some weird classpath ordering issue. 1.0.7 still required
Klasses.jar to be the first element of the CLASSPATH. Current CVS ensures that
automatically.

could you try removing the leading '.:.:' and try again?

> Was the main change of 1.0.7 -> 1.1 concerned javac?

Thu Aug 15 10:11:54 CEST 2002 Dalibor Topic <robilad at yahoo.com>

        * libraries/javalib/kjc.jar: updated to kjc-2.1B.

Though nowadays I'd recommend using jikes 1.18 and --with-jikes, since the
rt.jar file produced by kjc results in some crashes with the jitter on
sparc-solaris2 and mips-irix platforms. And the code generated by jikes passes
verification using BCEL quite nicely, whereas rt.jar generated by kjc seems to
have a few problems.