[kaffe] cannot find libnative

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Nov 12 11:49:02 PST 2003

Hi Mark,

Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> For the last couple of years I've been trying to create a version of
> kaffe for use on my mipsel based Helio pda.  It been an on again, off
> again project.
>
> Well, its on again.

Great!

> 2.  The kaffe v1.1.0 release also compiles for mipsel.  I can also
> include/exclude the features I want.  When it runs, it complains about
> not being able to find libnative.  Based on a quick read of the mailing
> list archive and a look at the generated code, it looks like (even when
> compiled statically) there are a series of libraries kaffe needs at run
> time.  The libnative.a in question is about 2mb.  The pda won't hold
> that much.
>
> So I've got 2 choices.  Continue to work with the Transvirtual source,
> solve the readdir problem and any others that come up.
>
> Or, use kaffe v1.1.0 and figure out how to compile the required
> libraries into the kaffe executable.  Then merge the Transvirtual
> framebuffer awt code into kaffe v1.1.0 or v1.2.0 or whichever version
> y'all want.
>
> I think option 2 is the way to go.  kaffe v1.x is actively developed and
> supported.  Can someone tell me if there is a way merge the libraries
> kaffe needs at run time into the static binary?  Can anyone give me any
> hints as to merging in a new awt implementation?

Option 2 is obviously the better choice for kaffe.org :)

Though, if any possible, try to use 1.1.2 or the latest code from CVS.
The developement version tends to change quite a bit between the releases.

For information on linking libraries, check out
FAQ.embedded, FAQ.libtool and FAQ.staticnative.

Merging in an AWT implementation is something Helmer & James might be
able to give you more information on, as they are both playing with
bringing in GNU Classpath's AWT as an option into kaffe.