[kaffe] cannot find libnative

Mark and Janice Juszczec juszczec at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 07:11:01 PST 2003

Hi folks

For the last couple of years I've been trying to create a version of kaffe
for use on my mipsel based Helio pda.  It been an on again, off again
project.

Well, its on again.

I've taken three paths.  The first is working with a copy of the
Transvirtual pocketlinux kaffe source I found buried on some ftp site on the
net a few months ago.  The second path is trying to use the v1.1.0 release
of kaffe.  The third is using a prebuilt version I got from Transvirtual's
pocketlinux website several years ago.

What started as an attempt to create a java PIM for myself has turned into
"I'd really like to be able to create my own mipsel version of kaffe."  I'll
use the prebuilt version only when I get tired of hacking the kaffe source.
I haven't gotten tired of it yet.

Anyway,  as of today, the status is:

1.  The Transvirtual pocketlinux kaffe source will compile for mipsel and I
can include/exclude the features I want.  It also has the Transvirtual
framebuffer awt implementation.  However, it won't run.  I've tracked the
problem to a call to kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads/internal.c  A call to
readdir(DIR* dir) crashes with a signal 11 and I can't figure out why.

2.  The kaffe v1.1.0 release also compiles for mipsel.  I can also
include/exclude the features I want.  When it runs, it complains about not
being able to find libnative.  Based on a quick read of the mailing list
archive and a look at the generated code, it looks like (even when compiled
statically) there are a series of libraries kaffe needs at run time.  The
libnative.a in question is about 2mb.  The pda won't hold that much.

So I've got 2 choices.  Continue to work with the Transvirtual source, solve
the readdir problem and any others that come up.

Or, use kaffe v1.1.0 and figure out how to compile the required libraries
into the kaffe executable.  Then merge the Transvirtual framebuffer awt code
into kaffe v1.1.0 or v1.2.0 or whichever version y'all want.

I think option 2 is the way to go.  kaffe v1.x is actively developed and
supported.  Can someone tell me if there is a way merge the libraries kaffe
needs at run time into the static binary?  Can anyone give me any hints as
to merging in a new awt implementation?

Mark