[kaffe] ld : -ldl not found connot compile kaffe-bin

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Nov 12 10:36:02 PST 2003

Hi Saiffuddin,

Saifuddin Rangwala wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to port kaffe-1.0.7 to linux-2.4.6 the
> architecture being arm-cs89712.

Cool! Interest in kaffe on arm seems to have surged again. I think 1.0.7
was quite buggy on arm linux, you may have more success with the latest
CVS sources, as the Helmer Kraemer fixed the jitter on arm-linux.

> When I tried only --with-staticvm, it worked,
> but when I treid --with-static-bin --with-staticvm, it
> gave following error while
> installing : -
> /home/saif_rangwala/toolchains/arm/arm-linux/bin/ld:
> cannot find -ldl
> Also I have specified which ld to use while
> configuring, still it using ld generated by binutils
> and not uclibc.

That sounds like a bug. Does it still occurr in the CVS version?

> Also can I remove some of source code directly to
> reduce the size of my port???

Sure. You can remove native libraries you're not going to need, for
example. You can also try to remove the java classes you don't need for
your application from rt.jar (like AWT, or networking). I doubt there is
much in the VM core that you can remove safely, though.

> Also, I want my final port of the size not more than
> 500K-700K. I want a very simple
> JVM without any advanced features, what path should I
> do follow???

Configure with interpreter support, disable everything you don't need
(debugging, define NDEBUG to remove assertions, X, etc.), strip the
binary, remove binaries you don't need (compiler, kaffeh), remove
classes you don't need, try to find an executable compressor for your
platform, etc.

I'd expect the greatest gains to come from stripping the debug info, and
cutting down the class library to just the features you need.