[kaffe] Re: GregorianCalendar fixes

Stephen Crawley crawley at dstc.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 19:46:01 PST 2003

Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 02:03, Stephen Crawley wrote:
> > The over-arching principle for Mauve testcases is that the behavior of
> > Sun's Java implementations is the "gold standard" for conformance
> > testing.
>
> I don't agree. We should not create Mauve tests to validate some
> proprietary library implementation.
>
> Mark

I don't understand what you are saying here.  We are not building Mauve
tests in order to validate Sun's implementation.  Rather, we are
building it to check that other implementations (including Classpath)
conform to the accepted specification for Java.  The ultimate
specification for Java is (according to Sun) the behaviour of Sun's
reference implementations.

Are you suggesting that there is a more appropriate or more definitive
specification of Java?  If so, what is it, and why is it more
appropriate or definitive?

-- Steve