[kaffe] What is the configure option (KAFFEH=xxxDIR)?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Oct 6 07:31:02 PDT 2003

Jung,Jong Jin wrote:
> Dear Kaffe Export.
> I have a simple question.
> I don't know the configure option of KAFFEH=XXXDIR.
> Without the option(KAFFEH=xxxDIR), an error ('please set KEFFEH to the
> full pathname of a locally_executable kaffeh') happens
>

> At first, I make a 'configure', 'make' and 'make install' for my
> x86-linux  in order to set KAFFEH.
> That is, I configure like the following
> --
> 1  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/x86kaffe
> --with-jikes=$JIKES/bin/jikes
> 2  make
> 3 make install
> ---
> So, I could get a kaffe-binary-tree that is able to run java-code in
> x86-linux.
>
> At second, I make a configure for my target board(mips, linux)
> So I set the configure option KAFFEF=xxxDIR as the directory
> (/usr/local/x86kaffe/bin/kaffeh). This directory is obtained from
> x86-linux-buliding.
>
> It makes no error and managed to succeeded in building a kaffe.
>
> I really wonder the setting (KAFFEH=$X86KAFFE/bin/kaffeh)is right or
> not.

Hi Jong Jin,

When you cross-compile kaffe, you need to have a native kaffeh compiled
for the platform you cross-compile on in order to generate the JNI and
KNI header files, which are necesssary to build kaffe. So in short,
setting KAFFEH to the local kaffeh is the right thing ;)

See FAQ/FAQ.cross-compiling for more information.