[kaffe] Re: Where to stay in Saarbruecken

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Oct 8 09:04:02 PDT 2003

Chris Gray wrote:
> Any accomodation tips anybody?  I don't know Saarbruecken, and I guess it's
> best if we can all stay in the same kind of area ...

Disclaimer: I live in Saarbruecken.

I've offerred to some developers to stay at my place if they want to,
depending on the replies, I may have a place or two to spare, or may be
able to find private accomodation among folks I know. But don't rely on
it ;)

So for the more careful planners, I'll take a run down the list of
places on http://www.linux-kongress.org/2003/accommodations/index.html

Youth Hostel: been there, it's cheap, and quite o.k. It's 5 mins away
from Uni, where the Kongress will take place. It's also about 10 mins
away from my place by foot, and maybe 20 mins away by foot from the
train station (if you come by train). 15 mins away walking from the pub
area of town. ;)

Gaestehaus Weller: basically, around a corner or two from the youth
hostel. Some of our researchers at the MPI stayed there. Can be cheaper
that Youth Hostel if you can get together with a few other guys to share
a room. Probably your best bet for nice, yet cheap accomodation.

Hotel Paul: If you come by car, it may be an option. Other than that,
you're at the end of the world ;)

Bayrischer Hof: A little off the mark, though still between city and
uni, which means the walking distance in each direction is about 30
mins. Probably quite peaceful, too.

Continental: In the city center, about 10 mins from train station. Best
bet to go to uni is to take a bus at Rathaus, lines 11 or 19. It takes
probably about 40-50 Minutes to walk to uni from there. Pubs are in
crawling distance, though.

Mercure/La Residence: Both are in the same square, about 2-3 minutes
away from train station. Expensive, but if you're looking into hotels
with a few stars in Saarbruecken, two of the very few options.

Hotels not on the Webpage: I got a few inside tips from our researcher
dispatch staff, that I'll look at tonight, and post more details.

Here's some more options from another conferences' page:
http://edvgt.jura.uni-sb.de/Tagung03/HotelListe.html . As someone who
lived in Dudweiler, I can't recommend staying in this suburb of
Saarbruecken, unless you have to ;) It's a rather boring place.

If you're looking for another cheap option, the Etap hotel is another
choice, but it's quite off mark, walking-wise. You can take the bus line
12 to uni, or take the saarbahn (local tram/inner city train) to get to
the city (and the trainstation), though.

Then the local tourist board also has some specials: there is a two
night special called Salue Saarbruecken, available at most hotels. See
http://www.kontour.de/content.jsp?auswahl=null&kontext=Kontext_81 for
deatils. Those are for two nights ("Uebernachtung") including breakfast
("Fruehstueck") in a double bed room ("DoppelZimmer") (2 Ü/Fr.im DZ) per
person. Separate single room ("EinzelZimmer") costs extra (EZ-Zu.2 Ü/F).
You can also extend your stay by paying the extension fee for a night in
the double bed room (1Ü/Fr. Verl. im DZ) or the single room (EZ-Zuschl.
1 Ü/Fr.).

During the duration of Linux Kongress, the offer is only valid in a few
hotels. The offer is apparently *not* valid in  Best Western Victors
Residenz Hotel Rodenhof, Hotel Continental, Hotel Ibis, Hotel Kaiserhof,
  Top Hotel La Résidence, Hotel Madeleine, Hotel Meran, Hotel Mercure
Kongres, Novotel, Sengscheider Hof, Jugendgästehaus. Some of the gotels
seem to have specials for groups, or extra specials ("Schnaeppchenpreise").

If you're planning to stay over the weekend, there is another special:
http://www.kontour.de/content.jsp?auswahl=null&kontext=Kontext_80 for 3
nights , double bed room, breakfast. This is probably of concern to only
some of you who want to come in earlier/stay longer so I'll provide
translations upon popular request ;)

In any case, if you're coming down, send me a private e-mail, and I'll
send you my contact details, so you can get in touch with me on my
mobile, etc. And in any case, we should all meet on monday evening for a
couple of drinks ;)

looking forward to see you all here,