[kaffe] using simplescalar with the kaffe gc

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Tue Oct 21 08:53:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
archana <ebb4524 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>  if one wants to simulate the kaffe interpreter with
> the gc running say using tools like simplescalar,
> how can one do it?

I did a quick Google search, and I found this:

  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~mxu/SimpleScalar_Kaffe_Mini_Howto.shtml

I'm not sure I understand what he's actually doing there.

> the gc runs on a separate thread.
> is it possible to get the effect by making some
> changes to the code etc..
> there was one posting in this mail list
> ref: Jun 20 2001, sub:  Can/How I disable threading?
> which i think slightly hinted at the changes that
> could be done to the code to support threads.
> Can someone please elaborate on this?

When Kaffe starts up, one of the first things it does is create separate
threads for the garbage collector and finalizer.  I think the
modification was to not create those threads, and then run Kaffe with a
large enough heap size so that there was never any need to call the
garbage collector.

If it's useful, I could imagine that we could add a flag which would
enable startup with the garbage collector turned off.  Patches are
welcome.

Cheers,

 - Jim