[kaffe] Classpath beans update.

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Oct 31 08:29:03 PST 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:10:52 +0200
Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> wrote:

> James Simmons wrote:
> > Is it possible to integrate beans from GNU Classpath into Kaffe. I need it
> > for Classpath AWT.
>
> Done. Please update from CVS, and good luck with the AWT port.
>
> Speaking of the AWT switch to classpath, I was thinking of a slightly
> different approach: what about having classpath's AWT, kaffe's AWT and
> pocketlinux AWT source trees somewhere under libraries/javalib and
> libraries/clib such that kaffe-awt.jar, classpath-awt.jar and
> pocketlinux-awt.jar are built depending on a compile time switch. Would
> this be useful? It would blow up the CVS by having some intially
> redundant code, but that could be phased out, as kaffe's and pockelinux'
> AWTs merge, and their java side is gradually moved over to classpath.
>
> what do you think?

I'll all for compile-time switching of AWT implementations.

Ideally, it would be nice for other things to be selectable at compile
time as well, eg. the threading implementation, the garbage collector,
etc.

Of course, we'd want to keep the ability for embedded users to be able
to compile in only one implementation, so they can save space.

As far as the AWT goes, it would be nice to have a standard way of
packaging up AWT implementations so they can be installed with any JVM
(or, at least, the free ones).  eg. Clemens Eisserer packaged up Kaffe's
AWT so it could be installed elsewhere, eg. on gcj.

  http://xawt.sourceforge.net/

There are lots of AWT implementations floating around.  Since most of
the JVMs support JNI, I don't see why they shouldn't be interchangeable,
with a little bit of work.

Cheers,

 - Jim