[kaffe] Newbie Problem on OpenBSD 3.4

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Apr 5 11:35:02 PDT 2004

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Bulka wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a complete Java-Newbie, but I have to learn it for
> university. I downloaded the Kaffe-1.0.7 Source and hoped
> I would be able to compile it with OpenBSD 3.4 (Stable).
>
> It was no problem and all the compiling went through
> without generating any error messages.
>
> When I typed "make check" after installing everything by
> "make install" evry test failed.
> I tried to run "javac" and it got me a core dump, but
> running "java" to execute some program (which I did not write
> yet, because of the unavailability of javac ;-( )
> seems to work fine, but I can't check yet.

Which cpu architecture are you on?

Kaffe 1.0.7 had some problems wrt libtool on i386-openbsd [1]. You could
give kaffe 1.1.4 a spin, it should be better in that respect, since it
uses a newer libtool, with our OpenBSD patches merged in. :)

> Does anyone no, what kind of problem this is ?
> I could imagine there's a problem with OpenBSD's memory-management
> or something like this. Maybe I just have to change a
> kernel-parameter?

I've talked to OpenBSD hackers Peter Valchev and Marc Espie about
updating kaffe in OpenBSD to something more current. They are in the
middle of a release now, though. I've CC:ed Ian Darwin, he's the official
kaffe maintainer on OpenBSD, afaik. He may be able to give you more
insight.

If you want to help us make sure kaffe 1.1.5 runs well on OpenBSD,
please try out the current CVS head, and report back how it went. We
currently don't have developers working specifically on OpenBSD [2]
support, so feel free to join in. It's fun, it's educational, and the
core VM is written in C, so you can leverage your existing C skills :)

[1] http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-August/008812.html
[2] Beside Riccardo, but he seems to have access to almost every
operating system/cpu architecture known to man :)