[kaffe] Next development release planning - 1.1.5

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Apr 8 04:45:03 PDT 2004

Salut Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> Salut Remy,
>>
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>
>>> I've always had trouble building on Cygwin. Since I sort of
>>> understood this was a supported platform, am I doing soemthing wrong
>>> ? (or is a fix in sight for this release ?)
>>

>> It's in 'known-to-be-broken-but-we-can't-du-much-about-it' state. :(
>>
>> Currently we are waiting for a bug in Cygwin to be fixed [1] and
>> signal handlers to be added to it [2]. cgf has been working on adding
>> signal handler support in recent cygwin versions, so there might have
>> been some progress in this area.
>

> That's what I though.
>
> So I'll have to wait a bit more for testing.

I had some progress a year ago by using a pure java java.util.zip
implementation from GNU Classpath, but given that it's probably a memory
corruption bug in Cygwin, I didn't want to rely too much on it, and then
other issues demanded my attention.

> BTW, are there any plans for a "Kaffe compatible" logo and program ? (I
> could likely add that to the Tomcat front page - once it actually runs
> 100% out of the box, of course ;) ).

Milos Negovanovic made a 'Powered by Kaffe' logo [1] :).

In terms of popularizing the usage of free java runtimes, I think a 'GNU
Classpath compatible' logo would have a much larger impact, though [2].
I was talking to Jim Pick in Brussels about labelling Kaffe a 'CPVM', a
Classpath virtual machine :)

So when Jim switches the kaffe web server over to Tomcat on Kaffe, we
could have both [1] and [the Tomcat on our webpage :)

[1] http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/logo/kaffe_pwrd.png
[2] And we're graudually switching over to GNU Classpath.