[kaffe] NEED_sysdepCallMethod

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Tue Apr 13 20:09:03 PDT 2004

While trying to get the latest kaffe for m68k, I become wondering what is the
purpose of 'NEED_sysdepCallMethod' macro defined in several machine dependent
codes. That means, this macro is not needed to compile m68k-linux (CVS head)
and it WAS needed for 1.1.4, but still several other ports have this macro
defined.

To verify my question, I tried to compile CVS head for i386-linux, by deleting
NEED_sysdepCallMethod from 'sysdepCallMethod.h'. The generated kaffe is

Engine: Just-in-time v3   Version: 1.1.x-cvs   Java Version: 1.1
Configuration/Compilation options:
  Compile date  : Wed Apr 14 10:26:47 JST 2004
  Compile host  : gibson
  Install prefix: /usr/local/kaffe
  Thread system : unix-jthreads
  CC            : gcc
  CFLAGS        : -g -O2 -Wno-import -Wchar-subscripts -Wcomment -Wformat=2 -Wimplicit-int -Wmain -Wmissing-braces -Wmultichar -Wparentheses -Wsequence-point -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wtrigraphs -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-parameter -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wuninitialized -W -Wfloat-equal -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Wsign-compare -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wpacked -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wunreachable-code -Winline -Wlong-long -Wdisabled-optimization
  LDFLAGS       :
  ChangeLog head: 2004-04-06  Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org>

(oops, it is not CVS head...) and regression test results is

================================
1 of 144 tests failed
Please report to kaffe at kaffe.org

(fail is for SoTimeout.java)

So, my understanding is the 'ifdef' which surrounded definition for inline
function 'sysdepCallMethod' should not be needed.

Am I right?

BTW, one more question.
For m68k-linux, gcc complains that sysdepCallMethod can not be inlined
because of alloca. When the compilation finished, I will test whether
this kaffe works or not.

Kiyo