[kaffe] Re: NEED_sysdepCallMethod

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Apr 16 11:20:04 PDT 2004

Hi Kiyo,

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Dalibor,
>
> My earlier patch I posted is just to verify where we have
> problems. I am still thinking whether macro version is better
> or switch to inlining.
>
> Any idea?

I'd rather have it inlined, since inlining implies better type checking
from the compiler, more meaningful warnings, and is in general more
useful in conjuction with a debugger, for example. :)

Since the problem seems to be the dynamically allocated array, how about
using __bultin_alloca from gcc to allocate it, like we do on powerpc,
ia64 and x86_64 ? At least on powerpc-darwin, Riccardo's logs from today
[1] show no warnings from the compiler wrt to inlining sysdepCallMethod.

If you agree with that, I could write up a patch to switch it over to
use __builtin_alloca.

[1] http://multix.dyndns.org/Sites/kaffe-devel/machines/atrejus/Atrejus.html