[kaffe] Re: NEED_sysdepCallMethod

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Sun Apr 18 01:02:02 PDT 2004

Hi Dalibor,

Dalibor wrote:
>Since the problem seems to be the dynamically allocated array, how about
>using __bultin_alloca from gcc to allocate it, like we do on powerpc,
>ia64 and x86_64 ? At least on powerpc-darwin, Riccardo's logs from today
>[1] show no warnings from the compiler wrt to inlining sysdepCallMethod.

Even though, gcc said 'wrong usage of alloca in inline function', I also
guess the bug comes from so called 'automatic array' in this case.

And I also planned to switch to use '__builtin_alloca' to solve this
problem.

>If you agree with that, I could write up a patch to switch it over to
>use __builtin_alloca.

Please send your patch and I will make another attempt.

But, before starting to do it, I have to finish regression tests for
the latest cvs. I am not sure whether it comes from hardware trouble
or some kernel-related trouble, but my current config needs rebooting
every 2 or 3 hours, and total regression test needs more than two days :-<

After the regression and retry for inlining, I will try to install
linux on 68040 machine. If you remember, this CPU has different way
for cache and may introduce some problem with JIT.

Kiyo
P.S. The hardest thing to install linux on mac for me is reinstalling
     MacOS to make room on the HD for linux :-)