[kaffe] kaffe 1.1.3 on Darwin 6.8 fails

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Apr 18 23:38:04 PDT 2004

Ciao Riccardo,

Riccardo wrote:
> Hello,

> I hvae only one suspect, but it may be a false alarm. After
> decompressing .tar.gz I found one @LongLink file, this means that with
> one file gnu tar made a mess. It is a single case, it would be really
> bad luck. I have BSD tar and I would start advising to use BSD tar for
> kaffe distribution instead of buggy GNU crap. In any case, the guys at
> darwinports.. have BSD tar too!!!

See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/4404/match=automake+tar
for the current discussion on the automake mailing list how to deal with
the general tar brokenness on different systems. It seems like a
AM_TAR_FORMAT([ustar]) will be possible in the future, and that could
solve that problem for those tars that support ustar format.

Now, whether they support it correctly or whether all tar implemenations
are "not very good in that respect", will remain to be seen in the next
automake releases ...