[kaffe] compiling rt.jar in Kaffe 1.1.4

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Apr 28 09:47:02 PDT 2004

Hi Nils,

Nils Ratusznik wrote:

> I did it... Here is the result :
> $ make (or make Klasses, the result is the same)
> cp /home/nils/kaffe-1.1.4/./libraries/javalib/rt-precompiled.jar rt.jar
>
> After reading the FAQ about compiling the class library I tried to use the
> autogen.sh script, without good results : autogen destroyed aclocal.m4 and
> then complained about the fact it couldn't find it :(

Ouch.

Try reconfiguring with --with-rt-jar=no. That will force the class
library to be rebuilt.

> Okay, I'm very intersted... what are the names of these wonderful
> utilities? I used "strip" in order to reduce .so files, but it doesn't
> work with rt.jar since it is an archive, not a binary-object file :(

BLOAT [1], jarg [2], ProGuard [3], Jode [4], other alternatives are on
[5], [6], and finally, there is Soot [7], too.

I haven't really used any of these, so I can't say whether they would a)
work at all, and b) work well. But if you need further class library
size reductions via automated tools beside what removing the debug
information can give you, you should have a look at these programs.

According to http://proguard.sourceforge.net/results.html, ProGuard is
able to shave off some 300k from Classpath's rt.jar.

[1] http://www.cs.purdue.edu/s3/projects/bloat/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/jarg/
[3] http://proguard.sourceforge.net/
[4] http://jode.sourceforge.net/