[kaffe] Re: Latest version failed with 'without-x' configuration.

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Sun Aug 1 13:43:30 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:10:45PM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Well, the idea is that we'll merge in the AWT implementations from
> pocketlinux, too. That will give everyone a large selection of choices
> for AWT backends. Atm, there are 3 to pick from: Xlib, Qt & Gtk. So even
> if you don't want X, you may want Gtk over DirectFB[1], for example. You
> can turn each AWT backend off separately, or disable all of them at once.

However, the core version of GTK+/GDK on DirectFB[1] is limited to
2.0.x, which conflicts with the one gtk-peer depends on (2.4.x and
above). The guys behind DirectFB did many impressive efforts about
kawt, DirectFB backend for Kaffe's peerless AWT, but I haven't
checked it in due to API changing a lot.

There are three contributed AWT backends Kaffe doesn't merge yet,
DirectFB, MicroWindows, and Nano-X. The MicroWindows and Nano-X AWT
backends are similar in many aspects, but I don't really get them
working well. Both MicroWindows and Nano-X AWT backends are loaded
and starting to perform its functionality, but them soon crash in
my machine.

In the meanwhile, I am working on DirectFB AWT merging to make sure
that we can take some excellent contributions from DirectFB core team
would not get lost.

cheers,
Jim Huang

[1] http://www.directfb.org/gtk.xml