[kaffe] Re: Latest version failed with 'without-x' configuration.

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Aug 1 12:10:45 PDT 2004

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Oops,
>
> I said:
>
>>I think without-x but with-awt does make no sence.
>
> I forgot awt itself supports 'direct-fb'...

Well, the idea is that we'll merge in the AWT implementations from
pocketlinux, too. That will give everyone a large selection of choices
for AWT backends. Atm, there are 3 to pick from: Xlib, Qt & Gtk. So even
if you don't want X, you may want Gtk over DirectFB[1], for example. You
can turn each AWT backend off separately, or disable all of them at once.

> If this is the reason why Dalibor sets with-x and with-awt as
> independent option, then the issue is some cpu/os dependency.

Yeah. It depends on what's supported on a platform. I'm not sure what
the best way is to deal with that 'what should the default confguration
be' problem. essentially the conflict is between a pessimistic approach,
where we turn everything off by default, and settle for the minimum,
letting developers enable features as they need them, or an optimistic
approach, where we assume that all dependencies are fulfilled, and we
build everything with all features by default, letting developers
disable features they don't need. The third way is to try to do as much
as possible automatically, but it's hard to hit the soft spot for
everyone, I fear. I'm having a hard time figuring out the 'right' way to
do it, I must confess.

> For the last several months I only try to use kaffe for m68k,
> and makes my brain to think only this cpu. I mean, awt may not
> work without x for m68k platform :-) I have to check whether
> qt works without x on m68k or not first.

I think qt embedded should work on m68-linux with a frame buffer.

[1] http://www.gtk.org/projects.html for gtk backends