[kaffe] Re: Building log4j with free compiler (was: [Alan Tam] Re: IMPORTANT [RFS] liblog4j1.2-java build from sources)

Alan Tam Tam at SiuLung.com
Sun Aug 1 23:56:35 PDT 2004

Hi,

On 2004-08-02 10:42, C. Brian Jones wrote:

>If it helps, I believe log4j 1.3.x will separate out the log browser
>stuff since it's useless bloatware if all you're interested in is
>logging with log4j.  But there is the java.util.logging interface that
>you can use, though it lacks a few handlers for log output already
>available in log4j appenders.

I think Debian has no time to wait for 1.3, which was planned to go
alpha 11 months ago. Maybe we can take the lead to remove the
"bloatware" part from the1.2.8 package first. No matter there is
java.util.logging or not, packages still tend to use commons-logging,
and log4j is the de facto choice of backend. This is the significance of
making sure log4j will be in sarge.

In the mean time, classpath (or kaffe, sablevm, ...) can go ahead to
implement the missing Swing features, at least stub them so that we can
compile.

--
Regards,
Alan