[kaffe] Server downtime

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Tue Aug 17 10:30:53 PDT 2004

Hi,

I apologize for the server downtime - it's back up now after I drove to
the colo.

It appears it was a system administration problem - I think all the
nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf had long since gone away.  I also had a
strange issue which was preventing console logins.  I reinstalled a few
packages, and the problem seems to have gone away.

I was somewhat concerned that the server may have been compromised, but
I couldn't find any evidence of that (eg. testing with chkrootkit).
It's probably worth keeping an eye out anyways in case I missed something.

The good news out of all of this is that I had an extra 512MB DDR SDRAM
that I stuck in the server, so it now should be more responsive.

I'm planning on upgrading the server shortly so I can use it for some
additional projects, for example, sharing some resources with the
Classpath developers.

If you see anything strange, send me a note.

Cheers,

  - Jim