[kaffe] CVS kaffe-extras (dalibor): Updated to jikes 1.21

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Aug 18 10:57:06 PDT 2004

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,
>
> You are too tarse, but this may indicate jikes-1.21 can be the latest
> 'stable' release for kaffe. Am I right?

Well, it works for me(TM), I'm using 1.21 daily to hack on kaffe :) I'm
changing kaffe-extras to use jikes in order to make it easier to build
the projects involved in building kaffe's kjc, as Guilhem asked me for
that on IRC. Using kjc from 1.1.4 for that proved to be rather hard,
since ant's build.xml had to be patched to bootstrap, and so on. Using
jikes for the bootstrap, things work faster, and with less manual labour
involved. [1]

So a build of Kaffe's kjc frm scratch takes just around 3 minutes for me
now, including the time to fetch the tarballs, and extract them.

[1] Not that there is anything problematic with kjc, it's just that most
people expect greedy compilers when they write a build.xml file, so
things break with kjc. Kjc expects to be delivered all the files needed
in a compilation run on the command line. That's contrary to jikes, or
Sun's javac, which will go looking for sources for classes that are
referenced by the classes on the command line. Both approaches have
their pros and cons. :)