[kaffe] GNU Classpath and Kaffe

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Dec 3 11:45:41 PST 2004

I haven't posted to the list in quite some while, so I guess I should
chip in so people know I'm still here.  Y'all are reading my blog on
Planet Classpath, right?  :-)

Michael Franz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My understanding is that Kaffe is going to start using the GNU
> classpath instead of it's own implemenation of the Java libraries.
> What is preventing us from using them today?    Is there a TODO list
> that people are working that will get us to this point?  Is there a
> timeline for this?

Dalibor has been working feverishly merging in all the Classpath stuff.

Eventually, we'll be able to scrap the old Kaffe class libraries
completely, and just use Classpath.  There are obstacles of course,
because Kaffe developed it's own VM interface, which predated Classpath
VM interface - that all needs to be reworked, without introducing too
many regressions.  It looks like we're gradually getting there, bit by bit.

I haven't done any diffing to see what the status of the migration is.
I'm sure Dalibor can speak to this.

I see Kaffe as a staging area for the Classpath project.  Most class
library development happens there, but we're a good place to test things
out before pushing it to the mothership.

> Another question, when is Kaffe 1.1.5 coming out?

"When it's ready" (TM)

This is my area - I've been moving a bit slow unfortunately.

For 1.1.5, my stated goal is to not do a time-based release, but to have
a testsuite, and release it when it passes the testsuite.  The 1.1.5
release will still be a "development" release, so we don't have to make
the testsuite too hard to pass.

I don't want to go back to doing time-based CVS-snapshot style releases,
since we get way to many regressions without some rigorous testing.  I
also was finding that it would take me several days of work just to
manually hammer out all the little packaging bugs before I could do the
release.  That's just no fun -- I'm just doing this as a volunteer project.

I would have preferred to have had a testsuite and a release out months
ago.  However, I've been preoccupied with setting up a new server for
the project.  Like everybody else, I'm doing this project in my spare
time, which is hard to come by, so things progress slowly.  The server
is going to be a really nice thing to have for doing the releases, as
I'll be able to centralize all the testing and release systems on it.

I've almost got the new server ready to put into production (but not
ready to replace the current server yet).  One of the first things I'm
planning to put on it is a wiki for test/release planning.  I've got a
good 20 pages of content to put on it.  :-)

I'm a systems/process oriented type of guy -- I'm really happy to see
the rest of the developers drive Kaffe development at such an incredible
pace.  I see my job as being the guy who applies the brakes and gets the
releases out... (of course, the last release was in February, so I gotta
suck it in a bit and do some more work  :-)

Given the amount of stuff I want to do, I wouldn't expect 1.1.5 before
January.  But it will be a nice, tested release.  Promise.  :-)

Cheers,

  - Jim