[kaffe] GNU Classpath and Kaffe

Michael Franz mvfranz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:25:17 PST 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:45:41 -0800, Jim Pick <jim at kaffe.org> wrote:
> I haven't posted to the list in quite some while, so I guess I should
> chip in so people know I'm still here.  Y'all are reading my blog on
> Planet Classpath, right?  :-)
Where is this?
[snip]
> Eventually, we'll be able to scrap the old Kaffe class libraries
> completely, and just use Classpath.  There are obstacles of course,
> because Kaffe developed it's own VM interface, which predated Classpath
> VM interface - that all needs to be reworked, without introducing too
> many regressions.  It looks like we're gradually getting there, bit by bit.
>
> I haven't done any diffing to see what the status of the migration is.
> I'm sure Dalibor can speak to this.
Is Dalibor the only one working on this?  Or just the main contributor?

> I see Kaffe as a staging area for the Classpath project.  Most class
> library development happens there, but we're a good place to test things
> out before pushing it to the mothership.
Which, if any, VM was classpath designed for?

> > Another question, when is Kaffe 1.1.5 coming out?
>
> "When it's ready" (TM)

[snip]
> Given the amount of stuff I want to do, I wouldn't expect 1.1.5 before
> January.  But it will be a nice, tested release.  Promise.  :-)
January will be fine, I was just remebering that we almost had a 1.1.5
release months ago and was wondering what happened to that effort.  A
lot has changed since then.

What is the typical 'code freeze' period for a kaffe release?