[kaffe] Re: Is ALIGN_CODEPC needed?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Dec 7 00:56:12 PST 2004

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Since Dalibor was out of town when I sent original message, I'd like to
> resend with more detailed info for this issue.
>
> I wrote:
>
>>In 'kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/funcs.c' a macro 'ALIGN_CODEPC' is defined.
>>But as far as grep can tell, it has never been used. Is this macro
>>really needed?

Konnichiwa Kiyo,

Thanks a lot for researching it! It seems that both the ALIGN and
ALIGN_CODE macros are unused. I grepped around in the code, and just
found the #defines, no actual uses.

>>If not, we have to modify
>>  kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/funcs.c
>>  kaffe/kaffevm/jit/funcs.c (at least ALIGN should be ALIGN_CODEPC for OpenBSD)
>>  FAQ/FAQ.jit3.
>

> I checked kaffe 0.8.3, and noticed even for jit rather than jit3, 'ALIGN'
> macro (whose name was changed later to 'ALIGN_CODEPC' to be compiled on
> OpenBSD) has defined but not used. So I think both {jit,jit3}/funcs.c should
> be modified not to include this macro.

I think that's a good idea. Removing code we don't use (anymore) makes
the remaning code easier to read, and means less time spent fixing
compilation errors in unused code. ;)

>>Oh, I also notice 'FAQ/FAQ.jit3' shall be modified for the explanation of
>>LOUT. The example in this document is still old style version.
>

> No more info needed. I will make some patches later for this.

Thanks!