[kaffe] CVS kaffe (dalibor): Resynced with GNU Classpath

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Jan 2 21:03:02 PST 2004

Hi Michael,

Michael Nascimento Santos wrote:
>>        Resynced with GNU Classpath.
>>
>>        2003-11-28  Ito Kazumitsu  <kaz at maczuka.gcd.org>
>>
>>        * java/text/SimpleDateFormat.java (compileFormat):
>>        isLowerCase() and isUpperCase() allow too many characters.
>>        Just use >= 'A' && <= 'Z' || >= 'a' && <= 'z'.
>

> I think this change may have broken support for i18n. Though I haven't
> tested, it seems to me this breaks support for characters as ç, ã, õ, é and
> others, which are used by many languages.

This change is about the SimpleDateFormat format string. According to
the JDK 1.4.2 API docs:

"Date and Time Patterns

[snip]
Within date and time pattern strings, unquoted letters from 'A' to 'Z'
and from 'a' to 'z' are interpreted as pattern letters representing the
components of a date or time string."

See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-11/msg00204.html for
more details.

If you still think it's a bug, I'd appreciate a test case that we can
put into mauve.