[kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Thu Jan 22 04:11:02 PST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 12:32, Mark Howard wrote:
>   I was hoping that some Debian Java experts might be able to help out
> with a couple of problems with bugwatcher (debbuggtk package).
>
> 1)
>   Bugwatcher works with gij or blackdown java
>   My wrapper scripts just call /usr/bin/java, since both of the above
>   create this. This has two problems:
>   - my programs don't work if java alternative is set to something else

I got it working (more or less, there are some little issues that I have
to look into) with kaffe. But not with the kaffe package from Debian.

The Debian kaffe package is compiled with unix-jthreads, but gtk
(java-gnome) needs pthread support. When you recompile kaffe configured
--with-threads=unix-pthreads then you can play with bugwatcher like you
can with gij. (Thread system unix-pthread is also needed to run e.g.
Eclipse with swt/gtk bindings).

What do the kaffe developers think. Should kaffe default to pthreads on
systems that support it?

Cheers,

mark