[kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Jan 22 07:06:02 PST 2004

Hi Mark, hi Tim,

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 12:32, Mark Howard wrote:
>
>>  I was hoping that some Debian Java experts might be able to help out
>>with a couple of problems with bugwatcher (debbuggtk package).
>>
>>1)
>>  Bugwatcher works with gij or blackdown java
>>  My wrapper scripts just call /usr/bin/java, since both of the above
>>  create this. This has two problems:
>>  - my programs don't work if java alternative is set to something else
>

> I got it working (more or less, there are some little issues that I have
> to look into) with kaffe. But not with the kaffe package from Debian.

Thanks! That's some good news.

> The Debian kaffe package is compiled with unix-jthreads, but gtk
> (java-gnome) needs pthread support. When you recompile kaffe configured
> --with-threads=unix-pthreads then you can play with bugwatcher like you
> can with gij. (Thread system unix-pthread is also needed to run e.g.
> Eclipse with swt/gtk bindings).
>
> What do the kaffe developers think. Should kaffe default to pthreads on
> systems that support it?

Yeah, seems like that would make sense. Especially as one doesn't have
to deal with figuring out SP_OFFSET and FP_OFFSET, which seems to be
quite tricky on arm-linux, for example.

Tim, what's your take on this? I've seen that JanosVM 1.0 includes a new
threading system, jthreads2, would it make sense to merge it in, and use
it instead of jthreads where possible?