[kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Thu Jan 29 22:28:03 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:37:19 +0000
Ean Schuessler <ean at brainfood.com> wrote:

> As I recall (Dalibor will need to correct me here) forking a process with
> pthreads just plain doesn't work. The details escape me at this point other
> than the complexities of managing the relationship between the thread and the
> forked process hadn't really been worked out. Of course, this is going back
> to when I talked to Tim Wilkinson about the problem. For all I know, its
> fixed.
>
> Is it fixed? If not, enabling pthreads will break many, many Ant builds.

Yes, it's fixed. I've got a couple of ant scripts myself that use the
exec task to run gcc and all of them are running fine.

One of the problems that I know of is that pthreads doesn't execute the
shutdown hooks when the VM terminates. However, I wanted to commit a
partial fix (executing the shutdown hooks only when the VM terminates
normally) this weekend (been way too long since my last one ;)).

Regards,
Helmer