[kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Sat Jan 31 05:31:02 PST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 20:42, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Ean Schuessler wrote:
> > As I recall (Dalibor will need to correct me here) forking a process with
> > pthreads just plain doesn't work. The details escape me at this point other
> > than the complexities of managing the relationship between the thread and the
> > forked process hadn't really been worked out. Of course, this is going back
> > to when I talked to Tim Wilkinson about the problem. For all I know, its
> > fixed.
> >
> > Is it fixed? If not, enabling pthreads will break many, many Ant builds.
>
> Frankly, I don't know, I haven't hacked on kaffe's pthreads threading,
> so I can't claim to know much about it :(
>
> The last thread on pthreads and kaffe I found [1] mentions that stuff
> like wait & run works fine with java threads under pthreads. The
> FAQ.pthreads still says that exec/fork/wait doesn't work, so it may mean
> Runtime.exec, I guess.

That is easy to check. Attached RuntimeExec test program works fine on
kaffe compiled with either unix-jthreads or unix-pthreads. And I think
we would have noticed if other things were really broken under pthreads.
Since it enables working with any JNI library that does "blocking" in
native mode (which doesn't work with jthreads) for larger frameworks
like java-gnome or eclipse I think it got at least some testing that it
doesn work for non-trivial things. And enabling it by default would help
us expose anything that might be broken.

> [1] http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-June/039992.html

Cheers,

Mark