[kaffe] Re: bugwatcher problems

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Jan 29 11:44:02 PST 2004

Hi Ean,

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> As I recall (Dalibor will need to correct me here) forking a process with
> pthreads just plain doesn't work. The details escape me at this point other
> than the complexities of managing the relationship between the thread and the
> forked process hadn't really been worked out. Of course, this is going back
> to when I talked to Tim Wilkinson about the problem. For all I know, its
> fixed.
>
> Is it fixed? If not, enabling pthreads will break many, many Ant builds.

Frankly, I don't know, I haven't hacked on kaffe's pthreads threading,
so I can't claim to know much about it :(

The last thread on pthreads and kaffe I found [1] mentions that stuff
like wait & run works fine with java threads under pthreads. The
FAQ.pthreads still says that exec/fork/wait doesn't work, so it may mean
Runtime.exec, I guess.

[1] http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-June/039992.html