[kaffe] several problems in reduce the size of VM

Fabien Renaud renaud at nentec.de
Thu Jul 8 01:38:00 PDT 2004

jin_leon wrote:

>hi all:
>
>I have successfully compiled and installed the KaffeVM on my Fedora system(x86),but  the size of the VM is 8.7M(../jre/lib/rt.jar 2.9M  and ../jre/lib/i386 4.2M ),which is too large to meet my requirements.
>
>./configure --prefix=/usr/local/kaffe --disable-gcj --disable-debug --disable-xprofiling --disable-xdebugging --disable-feedback --without-profiling --without-stats --with-engine=intrp --without-exensions
>
>I try several solutions advanced in the FAQ documents to reduce the size of rt.jar:
>      1.under the javalib directory,make JAVAC_FLAGS="-g:none" (according the FAQ to delete the debugging infomation) ,but failed in making.what's wrong with it?
>      2.according the FAQ files, i could just delete the line of .class file on the profiles/default/*.file and recompile the classlibrary, but i still do not understand how to implement(At the same time, I have no idea what exact classes are useful or not ,and how to tail. So do you have some approprite tailed rt.jars for reference.)
>      3.some one propose that i can use static libraries scheme to go on ,but i don't know the how to configure the options.
>
>Though I have come over so many problems which may be a little foolish to you, i hope you can give me some useful advice as soon as possible .
>Waiting for your help!Thanks!
>
>Best regards
>Jin leon

Hi Jin ,

With this configure :
./configure --disable-nls --enable-pure-java-math
--with-threads=unix-pthreads --with-engine=intrp --with-libffi
--with-jikes --without-x

I have 7.2M (3.0M for rt.jar and 2.6M for jre/lib/i386) without removing
anything

If you use static libraries, the size will be really bigger (all
required libraries will be in kaffe)
Did you remove ./man ./include and ./lib directories ?

Cheers,
Fabien