[kaffe] Re: Fixing mipsel-linux: differences between jit3 and jit1

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Thu Jul 8 13:29:26 PDT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to fix the build on mipsel-linux. It uses jit3. I've
> got the LOUT build problem sorted out, the syntax of LOUT and friends
> has changed between jit3 and jit1. The next stumbling stone is
> prologue_xxC, which does not exist in jit3 funcs.h. So before I blindly
> change prologue_xxC to prologue_xxx on mips (and possibly m68k, since it
> suffers from same symptoms on netbsd), I'd like to know what the
> difference in naming is supposed to mean ;)
>
> i.e. what is in the name suffix -xxx that xxC doesn;t have, etc. I
> couldn't find that documented, unfortunately.

I don't think it actually matters, but the name is supposed to signify the
parameters for the "instruction".  As far as I can tell:

  R - register
  L - label
  C - constant or a label that refers to a constant.

I think its basically a poor man's function overloading mechanism.  So, in
the case of prologue, it doesn't really matter since there aren't multiple
implementations of the prologue.

> cheers,
> dalibor topic

tim