[kaffe] Relicensing the Verifier, and Turning it On

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jul 11 06:53:50 PDT 2004

Chris Gray wrote:
> On Saturday 10 July 2004 20:58, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Yes, in fact integrating Rob's code will be quite a major effort. Wonka has a
> different object layout (we don't use handles), different stack layout, and
> our data structures for classes, methods etc. don't resemble Kaffe's any more
> than coincidentally. So any Kaffe-dependent code in the version Rob gave me
> is just noise.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

>>I like the GPL quite a bit, myself. With that out of the way, I'd be
>>willing to relicense my own changes under a license that made sure that
>>I'd be still able to re-merge improvements back into kaffe. While GPL
>>guarantees that, that's unfortunately not helpful for Wonka. So, how
>>about GPL+linking exception, a la GNU Classpath? Would that be ok for
>>Chris?
>

> In this case I think it would be OK. I have a query outstanding with the FSF
> about the Classpath licence, because I'm not too sure I know what constitutes
> an "independent module" in Java. The verifier is an easier case, in that we
> just have to agree amongst ourselves that other components of the VM (class
> loader, interpreter, ...) are to be regarded as "independent". This would
> need to be stated in the exception clause, as it's not obvious.

Okay, please keep us updated on how FSF interprets GPL+linking-exception
. I, personally, regard the interpreter as largely [1] "independant"
from the rest of the VM, which was part of the reasoning why I moved it
into its own directory, away from the rest of kaffe core vm.

[1] Well, it has to interface *somehow* with the runtime in a runtime
dependant way :) But that's going to be different for each runtime,
unless we agree on a verifier API, so that we can interchage Rob's
verifier, with, for example Tom's, or JustICE from BCEL. Stuff for the
next Classpath hacker meeting :)