[kaffe] Swing/AWT merge from GNU Classpath done

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Sat Jul 24 08:40:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 09:05, Guilhem Lavaux wrote:
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > I've merged in the Swing/AWT code from GNU Classpath (before the last
> > resync they had with gcj java-gui brach, so expect another tiny (600k)
> > patch soon ;)

You guys are awesome!
It now works out of the box for me with:
--with-jikes --without-kaffe-qt-awt --prefix=/usr/local/kaffe

I tried to create a patch for that last tiny diff.

This adds the following files (all.files):
java/awt/image/ByteLookupTable.java
java/awt/image/Kernel.java
java/awt/image/LookupTable.java
java/awt/image/ShortLookupTable.java
javax/swing/Spring.java
javax/swing/SpringLayout.java
javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicTextFieldUI.java
javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicToolBarSeparatorUI.java
javax/swing/text/DefaultHighlighter.java
javax/swing/text/FieldView.java
javax/swing/text/Highlighter.java
javax/swing/text/LayeredHighlighter.java
javax/swing/text/PlainView.java
javax/swing/text/TabExpander.java
javax/swing/text/TabableView.java

And remove these two files (all.files):
javax/swing/text/CharacterIterator.java
javax/swing/text/PlainEditorKit.java

I did get it to work for me locally, but that was after a lot of
fighting against the build system... :{

In the end I send the whole patch and ChangeLog to Guilhem hoping he
could properly adapt it to the kaffe build process.

It does seem to work and the latest Swing examples like the
activityboard do look veery nice and kaffe.

> > * since classpath's awt need pthreads, pthreads are now the default
> > threading system. That's going to be fun on non-linux systems, I assume.
>
> *bug queue full please submit later* ;)

Note that GNU Classpath AWT should be able to work with any java-like
threading system when --enable-portable-native-sync is used. This tells
gdk to use a locking mechanism that uses normal Object.wait()/notify()
primitives. This is what the jrvm hackers want to use (although it
doesn't actually work for them yet). See the VM threading Model section
in the GNU Classpath VM Integration Guide:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/vmintegration.html#SEC7

Cheers,

Mark