[kaffe] Info Kaffe on ARM/uClinux [was: Implementing JVM for ecos]

Andrea Scian andrea.scian at wawnet.biz
Fri Jul 23 01:12:49 PDT 2004

[this thread started on eCos-devel mailing list...]

> > As I previously sayd I've also run some benchmark for academic purpose
like
> > jMocha suite (from IBM, not all the tests), LinPack & SciMark 2.0 and
they
> > all complete successfully on both JVM.

> Then your kaffe arm port presumably works better on arm then what's on
kaffe.org
> ;) At least on strong arm, kaffe's jit seems to break for me whenever I
use kjc
> to rebuild the class library,  :(

Well... I'm not using jit on my board, because I don't have enough memory!
:-(
Without jit everything seem to works fine :-) (even if I have never run kjc
because I use the x86 rt.jar!)

> > I feel proud to contribute to Wonka port on eCos.
> > I think the best way to do it is to create a patch from the JVM version
> > was working on agains the original one and let someone to do the rest.
> >
> > Again: at the moment I have not so much time to spend on it but I will
give
> > you support whenever I can.
> If you have the permission to publish your work, and feel like it after
helping
> with the Wonka port, I'd be grateful to integrate your patches into the
> kaffe.org tree, too. There is no port for arm-uclinux in kaffe's CVS.
> In case you have some published benchmark results online, I'd be
interested in
> how well/bad kaffe performs on arm/uclinux, too.

As your request, I have just publish some benchmark result (taken directly
from my thesis, so they are in italian).

There is a PDF under the public section of our site, take a look at
http://www.dave-tech.it/download/misc/sw/B2/java/.

The file is called Kaffe-Wonka B2 comparison.pdf :
Tabella (Table :-) 5.5 contains the jMocha results
Table 5.6 contains Linpack results
Table 5.7 contains SciMark 2.0 results

The test have been run on our board B2, you can download the technical
documentation in the product section of our site (as you may already guess
it's http://www.dave-tech.it ;-)

> You can catch the kaffe devs on #kaffe on irc.freenode.org, or on the
mailing
> list. Currently there is only one regular italian developer, though ;)

Building for ARM is just a matter of a fine choose of cross-compiling
switches and a little more of "tricking". :-)
As soon as I have some time to spend on it I will contact those devel to
discuss the better way add the uClinux support on Kaffe!

This document http://www.dave-tech.it/download/public/b2/B2002.pdf shows the
contents of the software manual delivered with B2 uClinux Kit. As you can
see Section 4.3 there is already an Application Note about building and
using Kaffe on our board. I am not allowed to give you the whole manual
because it is sold with the kit.

> cheers,
> dalibor topic

greetings,