[kaffe] Kaffe 1.0.7 on OS X 10.2.8

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Jun 17 10:02:04 PDT 2004

Michael Franz wrote:
> Is this just a matter of running autogen on another platform?  Say a
> linux box?

Unfortunately, no.

I've spent a few hours trying to get it to work today, but no go.

Part of the problem is that automake developers deliberately broke their
APIs so you have to use automake 1.4. Libtool 1.5.6 requires autoconf
2.50 at least, but that one (and all other versions above 2.13) doesn't
like the configure.in from 1.0.7, since the autoconf developers, too,
deliberately broke their APIs on the road to a better future. So there
is little that can be done, beside investing some time to fix the old
configure.in's problems with autoconf 2.5x. Given the autotools api mess
... I'd recommend staying away from that, that way lies madness [1].
Just use plain static builds, they are easier to debug anyway.

If you really need the dynamic builds, you could try the patch from PLD
to use the installed libtool from
http://cvs.pld.org.pl/SOURCES/kaffe-dyn_ltdl.patch?rev=1.1 and to rerun
developers/autogen.sh if you have automake 1.4 and autoconf 2.13
installed. But I have not idea whether that would actually work as expected.

[1] We must have managed the autotools API switch at once some time ago,
but I have successfully evicted all memories of that painful event from
my memory.