[kaffe] build process

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jun 27 17:12:14 PDT 2004

Hallo Helmer,

Helmer Krämer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the attached patch modifies kaffe's build process a little bit,
> so that it executes in roughly four steps:
>
> * build kaffeh, libkaffevm, standard libtool -modules and kaffe
>   executable
>
> * build rt.jar
>
> * build optional libtool -modules (like awt, sound, libxmlj)
>   [including generation of required headers]
>
> * relink kaffe executable using all libtool -modules
>   [required for systems that can't dlopen libtool -modules]
>
> Since the jni headers for the optional libtool -modules are
> generated after rt.jar has been built, we no longer have to
> include classes of optional packages in Klasses.jar.bootstrap.
>
> If nobody has any objections, I'll check it in during next
> week.

Sounds like a very good idea to me.

I'd like to propose going even further:

* check in generated JNI headers into CVS
* replace kaffeh by suitably patched cp-tools javah

That would allow us to cross-compile fine without requiring a freshly
built kaffeh, and allow us to clean up some code in the core VM library
that's currently being shared between kaffe and kaffeh.